EA CPE Requirements



Is BestCPE a Qualified Sponsor for Enrolled Agents CPE?

Yes, we are listed under the name of our parent company...CPE Publications, Inc., and our Sponsor Number with the IRS is J9K6Q.  Each completed course includes an emailed certificate stating the number of credit hours and the Sponsor number.

What type of CPE courses can I take to meet the EA requirements?

Your continuing education must be Federal tax courses and an ethics course. You must take a 2-hour ethics course each year.  The primary focus of any course MUST BE Federal tax.  An Enrolled Agent cannot take accounting, audit, management or personal development courses for CPE credit.  Courses that meet the above requirements may be found in the BestCPE Course Catalog under the Enrolled Agent category.  Course that are not in that category are not acceptable for Enrolled Agent cpe.

How many CPE hours do I need as an Enrolled Agent to maintain my license?   

72 hours of CPE every 3 years (24 hours per year is recommended)
16 CPE hours every year (minimum)

In other words, you shouldn't wait until the last minute to take all 72 hours before you complete your EA license renewal. The Office of Professional Responsibility requires that you take at least 16 hours per year, to maintain your professional skills.

The 16 CPE hour annual minimum includes the 2 hour Ethics requirement.

Many Enrolled Agents take 24 hours of CE every year (including ethics) to avoid confusion.

==>Note that special CPE requirements apply to EAs in their first enrollment cycle. The first enrollment cycle is called the "initial enrollment cycle" and includes each year up until you file your first EA renewal.