How many continuing education (CE) hours must be taken by an Enrolled Agent (EA)?

Enrolled Agents (EAs) are a type of tax advisor who is a federally authorized tax practitioner empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury. 

1.  EAs must obtain:

  • 72 hours of continuing education every three year cycle.
  • A minimum of 16 hours per year, two of which must be on ethics.
  • If your initial enrollment occurs during an enrollment cycle, you are required to complete 2 hours of qualifying continuing education credits per month AND 2 hours of ethics or professional conduct credits per year.  When your new enrolment cycle begins, you will be required to satisfy the full 72-hour continuing education credit requirement.

2.  Enrolled agents must use an IRS approved CE provider.

3.  Any programs you've taken from an IRS-approved CE Provider will be reported to the IRS by the Provider. You will be able to view your completed CE credits through your online PTIN account.

CPA Information

Site Search